Saturday, August 20, 2011

A simpler Saturday morning

I've started reading Simplicity Parenting by Kim John Payne. Written by a former Waldorf teacher, it naturally deals with establishing rhythms ( schedules) and cutting back on tv, toys, and basically anything that can "clutter" a childs mind and soul. I've read a lot of natural parenting books and I love the ideals behind it, but I get frustrated a lot because the reality of my life with kids is not watercolor painting and bread baking but goldfish crackers and Spongebob (on a good day). Of course, a lot of that is my own fault. Oftentimes, it's just easier to let the kids vegetate in front of the TV than to get up, turn it off, and deal with the whining, crying, and fighting that ensues.
But I have been feeling invigorated as of late, and with this new found energy I find myself wanting to break out of the rut and actually try out all the wonderful ideals of natural parenting for real. So, I have turned off Spongebob and we are baking some Swedish sweet buns. We had these a few weeks ago when we had a play date at a Swedish friend's house. The buns are so yummy and delicious, and the boys loved them. They are flavored with cardamom, and remind me so much of crisp December days since I always bake Stollen for Christmas, which also has cardamom.

3 dl milk
100 gram butter
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cardamom
1 dl granulated sugar
1 liter flour (10 dl)
50 gram fresh yeast = 2 1/4 tsp dry yeast



Scald the milk and mix with the melted butter and sugar. Add the yeast and let it proof.
Add the egg and mix.
Add the dry ingredients to the liquids. I usually mix the spices and salt with half of the flour called for in the recipe and then slowly add the rest of the flour until I get the right consistency. If you add the entire flour at once you may end up with too much flour and a dry bread. 
Knead until smooth, about 10 minutes.
Cover and let rise.
Punch down and divide dough into small buns. Let rise again.
Brush the top of the buns with egg and bake in preheated oven at 225 C until the buns are golden brown.


P.S. While you're checking out the Simplicity Parenting link, make sure to sign up for their free Simplicity Starter Kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment