Thursday, October 7, 2010

Brave New World

Kindergarten is not want it used to be. Gone are the days of gentle focus on socialization and play. Now it's drill, drill, drill. Does your K aged child know his letters and numbers? Too bad, he now needs to be reading too. And don't assume that once they go home at the end of the day they will get to relax and at least play for a little bit. No, more often than not, they come home loaded with more worksheets and projects to finish.
Why am I harping on this right now? Well, because my husband has made it rather clear that he wants Jeremy to go to school next year. Homeschooling is starting to look like one big pipe dream. And I have a big problem with the amount of homework that his school may be sending home with him. Here's a great article about the issue:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/magazine/03wwln-lede-t.html?_r=2&emc=eta1

So, what do you think, is homework in Kindergarten a good or bad thing?

3 comments:

  1. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. And if I had to give up my dream of homeschooling (I have one child, 2.5 years old) I would be mourning. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homework is a bad thing. I was at the AMS conference last spring talking to an older gentlemen, John Blessington, about this for hours. He wrote a book about education and a lot of it had to do with homework. He gave me a copy. It's called, "Let My Children Work!!"

    Children are depressed these days? It's because they have no time to be children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's unfortunate how much we are pressuring our children to grow up.

    ReplyDelete