Saturday, April 3, 2010

Sandpaper letter, how I loathe thee

In the interest of saving money, I decided to make my own sandpaper letters. About two weeks ago I bought my supplies at Michaels. Total for all materials was about 18.00.  I used foam board instead of poster board because it's more durable.
First, I cut out the foam into 4X4 squares.

I then printed out the letters of the alphabet, cut them out, and traced them on backwards onto the back side of 100 grit sandpaper.
Then, I cut out the traced letters.
Finally I glued the sandpaper letters onto the appropriate foam squares (blue for consonants and pink for vowels).

It took some trial and error, and the letters themselves are not perfect  because I cut them out by hand, but if you don't mind giving up perfection for some savings, then I say go for it!

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I found a post on diaperswappers where you talked about trying out Montessori type homeschooling so I thought I'd check out your blog. How long did it take you to make the sandpaper letters? Are you still doing the homeschooling? How's it going? I have a 2 year old and a 10 month old and I am thinking of going this route, so I'm just trying to get as much info as possible at this point! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I apologize for not answering any sooner, but we just got back from France last week and I'm still recovering from jet lag. The sandpaper letters are not too labor intensive, so I would say it should take around 2-3 hours. It took me about a week to finish them, but I'm really spacey so I never sit down to do any one thing for too long. I am still "homeschooling", though it's very informal since my oldest is yet to turn five and I feel that at that age most learning should be non academic in focus. I'm not sure what we will do next year when he has to start kindergarten, because my husband is not on board with the whole homeschooling idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I started this project and gave up half way through..

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the purpose of sandpaper letters?

    ReplyDelete