Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Homeschooling for the lazy mom?

So I've decided that I'll start homeschooling Jeremy later this year. Yeap. You read right. Now the question is, can a disorganized mom like me manage to homeschool, when I barely have everything else under control? Or am I once again biting off more than I can chew?
Well, the answer to that question remains to be seen, as I do not plan on starting until September. Which means I have plenty of time to get my act together.
Because I LOVE lists, I've gone ahead and made one listing the things I need to do before our homeschooling journey can begin:

1. Get the kids on a schedule.
2. Get myself into a groove with regards to housework. If the house is a mess I know homeschooling will be a disaster. Did someone say Flylady?
3. Decide on a homeschooling philosophy/curriculum.
4. Read up on said curriculum.
5. Buy homeschooling supplies.
6. DIVE IN!

Now, I have a leg up on number 3, since I'm pretty sure that I'll be doing a loose interpretation of a Montessori preschool along with some Waldorf elements thrown in for good measure. Here's my current reading list:

The Hurried Child by David Elkind.
Unplugged Play by Bobbi Conner.
Childhood and Society by Erik Erikson.
Teaching Montessori in the Home: The Preschool Years by Elizabeth G. Hainstock.
Waldorf Education: A Family Guy by Pamela J. Fenner
The Case for Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World by Susan Linn

Any other books I should be reading?

2 comments:

  1. I'm also a list-loving yet disorganized Mom! Having something like Montessori that's been so well-researched and laid out has been a lifesaver. When I tried eclectic, I just couldn't bring together all the little elements I wanted into a cohesive whole. So far, walking the Montessori path has been a lot easier.

    Of course... Ask me again in a few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I worry that I'm way too hung up on the planning aspect of things. I'm constantly thinking about the endless possibilities of things, but I rarely follow through with any concrete actions. Hopefully having this blog will bring some level of accountability into play.

    ReplyDelete