Tuesday, December 8, 2009

100 Things

Back in October, our power was shut off due to circumstances beyond our control. While that mess was sorted out, we got to say at Jackie Gleason's former mansion in South Beach. Granted we were staying in a small part downstairs that was probably used for parties. Nonetheless, it had a huge kitchen, two bedrooms, and a lovely bathroom about as big as my actual bedroom back home. The boys really enjoyed it because it had a tub, so they got to take lots of bath (we only have a shower).
In any case, because we were only staying there for a few days, I took just what we needed. That meant no books, no magazines, no tons of clothes, etc. And they boys only had four little itty bitty matchbox type cars to play it. It was exhilarating not to have to constantly be cleaning up the mess that tons of clutter leaves in its wake.
When I got back home, I was dead set at getting rid of everything that was superfluous in our lives. I came across this blog, about a guy who decided to pare down to 100 possesions. Granted, after a month and a half, a lot of my euphoria for living simply has dissipated, but I'm still at it! I've gotten rid of tons of toys, clothes that haven't been worn in years, pots, pans, books, old magazines, etc.
I still have a ways to go, but it truly is liberating to get rid of so much stuff, and I have noticed that it makes it much easier to clean the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment